External Advisory Council formed to assist with search for IU School of Medicine dean
INDIANAPOLIS -- An External Advisory Council has been appointed by President Michael A. McRobbie to assist the recently formed search committee in identifying finalists for the next dean of the Indiana University School of Medicine and vice president for university clinical affairs.
The 21-member council, chaired by Charles Schalliol, counsel with Faegre Baker Daniels, will:
- Advise the search committee, chaired by IU School of Dentistry Dean John Williams, on desirable qualifications and experience candidates should have from the broad external perspective of the members of the council.
- Suggest potential candidates based on their wide and extensive networks of contacts.
- Participate in interviews in the final stages of the search process.
“The appointed council members are distinguished leaders in business, philanthropy, higher education and the community, and also have a special interest in, and the understanding of, the importance of the IU School of Medicine to the broader life and health sciences sector in Indiana,” McRobbie said. “This is an outstanding group of individuals who will play a vital role in helping select the next dean for the School of Medicine, and their support is most appreciated.”
In addition to Schalliol, members of the council are:
- Gary Anderson, managing director emeritus, TL Ventures
- Patrick Bankston, Ph.D., associate dean, Indiana University School of Medicine-Northwest
- David Barrett, president and CEO, Gene B. Glick Co. Inc.
- Leonard Betley, chairman and president, Richard M. Fairbanks Foundation Inc.
- Thomas Burish, provost, University of Notre Dame
- Sheryl Conley, president, S.L. Conley Consulting LLC
- Paul Evans, D.O., vice president and founding dean, School of Osteopathic Medicine, Marian University
- Stephen Ferguson, chairman, Cook Group Inc.
- Harry Gonso, partner, Ice Miller LLP
- David Johnson, president and CEO, Biocrossroads
- Vic Lechtenberg, Ph.D., acting executive vice president for academic affairs and provost, Purdue University
- Rose Mays, board member, Indiana University Foundation
- Mark Miles, president and CEO, Central Indiana Corporate Partnership
- James Morris, president, Pacers Sports and Entertainment
- Bart Peterson, senior vice president, corporate affairs and communications, Eli Lilly and Co.
- Jack Phillips, president and CEO, Roche Diagnostics
- Cynthia Simon Skjodt, board member, Indiana University Foundation
- Steve Simpson, M.D., pediatrician, Methodist Hospitals-Northlake Campus
- Simran Trana, external technology leader, Dow AgroSciences
- Margaret R. Watanabe, board member, Indiana University Foundation
The next dean will succeed D. Craig Brater, M.D., who announced his retirement effective June 30, 2013, after 27 years of service to the School of Medicine, serving as dean since July 1, 2000. Dr. Brater also holds the title of Walter J. Daly Professor at the School of Medicine and is vice president for university clinical affairs at IU.
The IU School of Medicine is the second largest medical school in the nation and the only medical school in the state of Indiana. With more than 1,900 full-time and part-time faculty, the school educates medical students on nine campuses across the state. This fall, 1,880 students are pursuing advanced degrees at the IU School of Medicine, including 1,245 future physicians and 217 doctoral students. More than half of all of Indiana’s doctors have received some or all of their medical training at the IU School of Medicine.