Search committee formed to identify new dean for IU School of Medicine
The next dean will succeed D. Craig Brater, M.D., who announced his retirement effective June 30, 2013, after 27 years of service to the School of Medicine, serving as dean since July 1, 2000. Dr. Brater also holds the title of Walter J. Daly Professor at the School of Medicine and is vice president for university clinical affairs at IU.
“Craig Brater has done a superb job leading the IU School of Medicine for the past 12 years and working in close partnership with IU Health and our other clinical partners," McRobbie said. "He has effectively and skillfully positioned the school as a research and clinical leader, and to meet the demands of an increasingly challenging and dynamic health care industry. I am confident the search committee members will be able to identify exceptional health care leaders who can build on the school’s record of academic success and innovation, and I greatly appreciate their commitment to IU and the School of Medicine.”
John Williams, dean of the IU School of Dentistry, will chair the search committee, which also includes faculty and staff representatives within the School of Medicine and the university, the president of the Medical Student Council and deans of the IU Schools of Science and Nursing, as well as leadership from the Indianapolis health care community including IU Health, Wishard Health Services and Richard L. Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
In addition to Williams, members of the search committee include:
- Sheryl E. Allen, M.D., assistant dean for diversity affairs, medical student/resident recruitment and development; associate professor of clinical emergency medicine and pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Marion E. Broome, Ph.D., R.N., dean and Distinguished Professor, Indiana University School of Nursing.
- Christopher M. Callahan, M.D., director, Indiana University Center for Aging Research; Cornelius and Yvonne Pettinga Professor in Aging Research and professor of medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine; associate director and research scientist, Regenstrief Institute.
- Kenneth Cornetta, M.D., chair and Joe C. Christian Professor, Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Daniel F. Evans Jr., president and CEO, Indiana University Health.
- Janice Lin Farlow, president, Indiana University Medical Student Council.
- John Fitzgerald, M.D., president and CEO, Indiana University Health Physicians; executive associate dean for clinical affairs and professor of medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Tatiana Foroud, Ph.D., P. Michael Conneally Professor of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Maryellen Gusic, M.D., executive associate dean for educational affairs, Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Lisa E. Harris, M.D., CEO and medical director, Wishard Health Services; associate professor of medicine and associate dean for Wishard affairs, Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Valerie Jackson, M.D., chair and professor of radiology and imaging sciences, Eugene C. Klatte Professor of Radiology and Imaging Services, Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Kathryn Jones, Ph.D., chair and professor, Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Michael Koch, M.D., chair and John P. Donohue Professor, Department of Urology, Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Patrick J. Loehrer Sr., M.D., director, Indiana University Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center; H.H. Gregg Professor of Oncology and associate dean for cancer research, Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Edwin Marshall, O.D., vice president for diversity, equity and multicultural affairs; professor of optometry; chair, IU Public Health Coordinating Council.
- Thomas Mattice, director, Richard L. Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Indianapolis.
- Simon J. Rhodes, Ph.D., dean and professor of biology, Purdue University School of Science at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.
- Linda Smith, Ph.D., Distinguished Professor and Chancellor’s Professor of Psychological and Brain Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, Indiana University.
- Mervin C. Yoder, M.D., assistant dean for entrepreneurial research; Richard and Pauline Klinger Professor of Pediatrics; professor of biochemistry and molecular biology; adjunct professor, Department of Cellular and Integrative Physiology, Indiana University School of Medicine.
In addition, an External Advisory Committee is being formed to work with the search committee in identifying finalists. This will be chaired by Charles Schalliol, counsel with Faegre, Baker & Daniels, who was the first president and CEO of Biocrossroads and was a former director of the state Office of Management and Budget.
An executive search firm will be selected to work with the committee to identify and screen prospective candidates, with the committee being responsible for recommending a group of finalists to McRobbie and to IUPUI Chancellor and IU Executive Vice President Charles Bantz for consideration. The new dean is expected to be in place by the beginning of the 2013-14 academic year.
The IU School of Medicine is the second largest medical school in the nation and the only medical school in the state of Indiana. With more than 1,900 full-time and part-time faculty, the school educates medical students on nine campuses across the state. This fall, 1,880 students are pursuing advanced degrees at the IU School of Medicine, including 1,245 future physicians and 217 doctoral students. More than half of all of Indiana’s doctors have received some or all of their medical training at the IU School of Medicine.